Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Something to think about

A friend posted this on facebook:

Go to urbandictionary.com, type in your first name, copy and paste this as your status, and put the first entry for your name under comments.

So I did it. And this is what showed up for "Jenn."


As the world is so overpopulated with Jennifers, we need to be able to distinguish the cool from the evil. The only acceptable abbreviation for the cool Jennifers is Jenn. Jenny, Jen, Nifer and any other variations of Jennifer are hereby deemed stupid and will no longer be tolerated! Anyone still answering to any other variation will be recognised as evil and or a loser!
Linda: "Is that Jenny over there?"
Tim: *smacks Linda's face* "You mean Jenn right???"
Linda: *sobbing* "OMG I soooo meant to say Jenn!"
Tim: "It's okay, I won't tell Jenn what you called her! But only this once."


I think this is pretty funny.... and amazingly accurate. When I was little I everyone was forbidden to call me "Jennie... or Jenny." As an adult I discovered this was because my grandfather had a girlfriend on the side named Virginia, "Ginnie" for short.
When we moved away from Tennessee, it took me a couple of years before I realized that those rules didn't apply anymore. So when I was 12 I pretty much forced people to start calling me "Jennie. No, not Jenny... Jennie." Huge difference. All the other Jennifers were Jenny. I wanted to be different. I was Jennie.
I think I was about 20 when people started calling me "Jenn." It took me a while to get used to it... and then I started to like it. So now, my grown up name is Jenn. Yes, with two Ns. It just looks prettier. I'm still fun, but a little bit more mature (not much though, almost anyone will tell you). You can take a Jenn seriously, but know that she's not uptight. Jenn is definitely the coolest way to go.

There were also a variety of not-so-flattering entries about "Jenn" on urban dictionary, but the first one was the best.

No comments: