Sunday, April 11, 2010

Put those kitties away!





So I was sitting at the table searching the internet for a good way to cook brussel sprouts and I heard this noise. Well, I wasn't sure what would make a noise like that, but I knew it couldn't be good. So I went outside and found a cat in my yard. I hissed at it and it ran away, and then I saw something small and brownish-grayish go under the porch. I got crouched down to see what it was....

Turns out that cat had been trying to kill this poor, little, baby bunny! Right outside my door!
Don't get me wrong, I regularly curse city rabbits and their garden eating shenanigans, but what's worse than rabbits eating my lettuce? Outdoor kitties, that's what!
I don't dislike cats or cat lovers; I just don't get it. They're not my thing. But if someone is going to go ahead and have a cat, then they should go ahead and keep it inside. Sure, people have cats to eat the mice in the barn, but this is Minneapolis. I haven't seen any barns in my neighborhood. And there's the fact that outdoor cats kill millions of birds every year. But on top of that, I certainly don't want cats running around in my yard torturing baby animals!

I mean, look at this face...
Would you really want him to suffer?

I ended up giving him a look over. One of his legs was bleeding and there was a chunk of his flesh missing from his belly. I took him to the Wildlife Rehabilitation Center in Roseville.

2 comments:

GehneeMarie said...

And then when it was getting to evening time I saw the mama rabbit in the middle of the yard looking for her baby.
So sad. Dumb ol' kitties breaking up families like that.

kt jo said...

That is the cutest bunny I've ever seen. I'm glad that you saved him. I've had to take countless bunnies to wildlife rehab because the kitten at my old job was convincned that she was the outdoor kitty of Saint Paul, and I'm pretty sure brought me bunnies just to depress me. And the sound of a screaming bunny is a terrible sound, and one that I know all too well.

p.s I have cotton balls and straws all over my apartment for some reason....