Saturday, January 9, 2010

Getting the hang of things

So, in addition to my first try at spinning I also had to give it a shot at plying. Plying is pretty much just twisting your single yarns together to make a new yarn that's a little bigger and a little stronger.
I decided to go for a navaho-ply, mostly due to the fact that I have a limited amount of spinning supplies at the moment.
I don't have a lazy kate. I actually only just learned about the existence of a lazy kate. If you don't know what it is, it's a thingy that holds the bobbins so they don't go rolling through the house while you're trying to ply your yarns.
So, having no lazy kate could be a problem. But I came up with a solution that so far is working fine.

I like to think that I'm rather clever, in a MacGyver kind of way.

So here's my first try at the navaho-ply.It's a bit... bad. I was having a hard time getting the wheel to do what I wanted it to do. I wasn't able to keep it spinning consistently and was getting pretty frustrated with the whole thing. So I gave up for a few days and decided to try again.
I think it's a bit difficult to tell from the photo, but the second attempt is significantly twistier. I'm not sure what I did the second time, but the wheel spun fine and the yarns didn't get caught.
in anything spinny.
I hope I don't learn too much before my class starts. Maybe I should just start with beginning spinning 2.



In other related news, I went back to the thrift store to see if that other wheel was still there (purple tags will be 50% on Monday). It's not there anymore.

No comments: